An ornamental shrub grown for its clusters of small pinkish-red flowers.
- Genus Ribes, family Grossulariaceae: several species, in particular R. sanguineum
More example sentences
- The flowering currants are perhaps the best known shrubs of the Ribes family but there are other equally garden-worthy members, including Ribes odoratum, or Buffalo currant, from central North America.
- The flowering currant, common in many city gardens, was considered so important a find in 1826 as to be worth the entire cost of a north American expedition.
- The flowering currant, Ribes sanguineum, makes a brave showing in spring.
Definition of flowering currant in:
- The US English dictionary