- A small creeping Eurasian plant with yellow and purple flowers, widely occurring in cornfields.
More example sentences
- Genus Kickxia, family Scrophulariaceae: two species
- The wonderfully named Venus's looking-glass, shepherd's needle, devil's curry-comb and round-leaved fluellen, have mostly been driven out.
- Rare fluellen is allowed to flourish in the vegetable garden because it needs arable land and is losing its natural habitat.
- With their whimsical ancient names such as corncockle, mousetail, fluellen, fumitory, downy hemp-nettle and lamb's succory, they have music as well as colour.
mid 16th century: alteration of Welsh llysiau Llywelyn 'Llewelyn's herbs'; compare with Fluellen, used by Shakespeare to represent the Welsh name Llywelyn.