(abbreviation fl. oz)
Definition of fluid ounce in English:
1British A unit of capacity equal to one twentieth of a pint (approximately 0.028 litre).
- The beauty of this scale is that not only can you switch between kilograms and pounds, it also copes with measuring liquids in fluid ounces or millilitres.
- How anyone dreamed up a system where 20 fluid ounces makes one pint, 437.5 grains makes one ounce and 1,760 yards makes one mile is beyond us.
- A canteen cup from those days (I have one) holds about 16 fluid ounces, roughly 500 milliliters.
2 (also fluidounce) US A unit of capacity equal to one sixteenth of a US pint (approximately 0.03 litre).
- The lowest recommended use rate is now 40 fluid ounces / acre.
- The flush is done by over-filling the system with a solution of 10 fluid ounces of 5 percent chlorine per 40 gal of water.
- The average person can satisfy fluid needs by drinking pint of water about 2 hours before exercising and continuing to drink 4 to 8 fluid ounces every 20 minutes or so during exercise.
Words that rhyme with fluid ounceannounce, bounce, denounce, flounce, jounce, mispronounce, ounce, pounce, pronounce, renounce, trounce
Definition of fluid ounce in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.