verb[with object] technical
Give (a finely divided solid) the characteristics of a fluid by passing a gas upwards through it: the massive kimberlite was fluidized and carried upwards at low temperatures
More example sentences
- Fluidization experiments show that as flow velocities increase small grains can be carried through fluidizing beds containing a mixture of coarse and fine grains.
- They occur when a layer of unconsolidated sediment is fluidized and transport of fluid and suspended grains takes place through overlying sediment to the sediment-water interface.
- In most basins sands that can be fluidized are interbedded with ‘leaky’ shales of high permeability (for shales) that do not sustain high overpressure during normal compaction.
- Example sentences
- Deformation bands and early calcite cement develop upon wall-rock contraction after fluidization ceased and fluid pressures dropped.
- The formation of pockmarks within muddy sediments is suggested to be caused by the interaction between sediment fluidization and bottom currents.
- After fluidization ceased and the fluid pressure dropped, walls contracted, resulting in increased grain contact stresses, and bands parallel to the margins developed.
Definition of fluidize in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.