- 1(Of a substance) having or showing fluorescence: a fluorescent dyeMore example sentences
- Many diamonds are fluorescent and phosphorescent under ultraviolet radiation.
- After fascinating physicists for over a decade, fluorescent semiconductor nanocrystals are finally fulfilling their promise in the biology lab.
- If you decide to ‘go fish,’ consider fluorescent paint and black lights, perhaps, or a collaboration with the science department.
- 1.1Containing a fluorescent tube: fluorescent lightingMore example sentences
- Solid-state lighting would use about one-fifth the energy of standard fluorescent lighting and last for approximately 50 years.
- The banker was unimpressed, and when he learned that Tesla had done nothing regarding fluorescent lighting, he threw him out.
- Projections show that eventual efficiencies could reach those of fluorescent lighting with appropriate development.
- 2Vividly colourful: a fluorescent T-shirtMore example sentences
- At the stroke of midnight, firecrackers shot up throughout the city and illuminated the sky with colourful fluorescent streaks.
- The brilliant orange sunlight of dusk poured into the building from above his head, illuminating everything with vibrant, almost fluorescent colour.
- The blue and white fluorescent colours at the other end of the spectrum represent light oil or condensate expelled from source rocks at higher levels of maturity, corresponding with peak to late generation.
nounBack to top
- A fluorescent tube or lamp.More example sentences
- When replacing standard fluorescents with efficient T8 lamps, it is necessary to replace the existing ballasts with electronics ballasts.
- Instead of replacing high-wattage incandescent lamps with compact fluorescents, for example, one ESCO installed lower-wattage incandescent bulbs.
- All the characters are unflinchingly presented as if lit by fluorescents, which somehow suits the story's Manichean division of Sharks & Chumps.
More definitions of fluorescentDefinition of fluorescent in:
- The US English dictionary