Definition of flyspeck in English:
1A tiny stain made by the excrement of an insect.
- The image is clean and sharp for the most part, with only random flaws from the source print - some graininess, a few flyspecks - cropping up here and there.
- It's clear from flyspecks and other physical evidence that the mummies were kept above ground for months or years before burial.
- There you have it - the two sources of flyspecks - saliva and fecal matter.
1.1A thing which is contemptibly small or insignificant: a sleepy flyspeck of a town
More example sentences
- What happens on the remoter flyspecks in the American archipelago remains largely a closed book.
- Strictly on the facts of the case, they are correct: The American archipelago is just a series of flyspecks compared to its Soviet predecessor.
- What happened to the family of a gold-toothed Japanese soldier who died so horribly on a flyspeck of a Pacific island?
- Example sentences
- Beneath flyspecked sash windows and an array of rusting metal advertisements stood a row of block-ice coolers.
- It's all there: the dust, the cattle, the brush, the waitress in the coffee shop with the flyspecked windows.
- She turns to the flyspecked oval mirror, tilted against the wall.
Definition of flyspeck in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia