1A weight in boxing and other sports intermediate between light flyweight and bantamweight. In the amateur boxing scale it ranges from 48 to 51 kg.
- He has been campaigning in the junior flyweight, flyweight and junior bantamweight divisions, destroying every opponent with frightening aplomb.
- So the Europeans tend to dominate the categories other than flyweight, featherweight and bantamweight.
- Both fighters are in a redemption mission after being dethroned of their SA flyweight and junior flyweight titles respectively.
1.1 [count noun] A flyweight boxer or other competitor.
- What's different about Brian and the rest of flyweights in the world is that he can punch.
- ‘Too hot for fighting flyweights,’ says Tigre, still breathing from the gym.
- It's a short career, especially with flyweights, and you can't afford to go messing about the town.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: fly|weight
Definition of flyweight in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.