Definition of focal point in English:
1The point at which rays or waves meet after reflection or refraction, or the point from which diverging rays or waves appear to proceed.
- The lens that picks up the light from the focal point is called the eyepiece lens.
- This spreads the light away from the center of the lens and moves the focal point forward.
- An ellipse is a flattened circle whose properties are governed by two ‘foci’, or focal points, equidistant from its centre.
1.1The centre of interest or activity: the community shop is the focal point of the village
More example sentences
- The festival is a focal point for moral reflection and being especially charitable to others.
- It's the home of The Bandwagon, a night that has become a focal point for a new wave of Liverpool groups.
- They were all or nothing, the focal point of the whole three years of study.
Definition of focal point in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia