Definition of foie gras in English:
1The liver of a specially fattened goose or duck prepared as food.
- The most well-known use for foie gras is the pate de foie gras, a rich pate containing at least 80% foie gras.
- Chef Dan Barber tells the story of a small farm in Spain that has found a humane way to produce foie gras.
1.1 short for pâté de foie gras.
- I'm very surprised because she clearly ate the entire ravioli dish, foie gras and all.
- In France dinner is always at a restaurant and I normally order foie gras and a sirloin steak.
- A pressed slab of ham hock and foie gras were correct enough and their accompanying home-made piccalilli was bravely sour.
French, 'fat liver'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan