noun (plural folios)
1An individual leaf of paper or parchment, either loose as one of a series or forming part of a bound volume, which is numbered on the recto or front side only.
- ‘Restored and put under glass, the folios could be gingerly handled, and it was possible to photograph all the pages,’ he said.
- The folios will debut at Artexpo New York along with a limited-edition giclee print of ‘Moon Rider.’
- Today it has been pulled apart, the folios bound to a cardboard binder.
1.1The page number in a printed book.
- The specific piece of evidence is an entry given within the book, on the front of folio 327, dating from 1635.
- The combination of second-person speech and frontal gaze of the princess on folio 3v indicates to him that the book was expressly produced for her young foreign eyes.
- The earlier set of ordinances are on folios 17-19, the original custumal on ff.20-49, and the later set of ordinances on ff.74-77.
2A sheet of paper folded once to form two leaves (four pages) of a book.
- Once the pages were finished they were folded into the folios and placed up to eight pages in depth.
- His own grammar fills 13 double-column folio pages in his two-volume dictionary.
- The presence of empty, but ruled, folios at the end of the volume suggests that FVB was a work in progress.
2.1A size of book made up of folio sheets of paper.
- Wadum suggests that some of the five books in folio and 25 other books might have been manuals such as those cited by Swillens.
- And that's without me looking at the folio size books.
- These were engraved in two sizes: folio, and a smaller series as book illustrations.
2.2A book or manuscript made up of folio sheets of paper; a volume of the largest standard size.
- Up to now it is more than a hundred folios of manuscript.
- The desktop itself was lost beneath teetering stacks of leather-bound volumes and slim folios that formed a parapet around the edges of the desk.
- She dedicated her lavish folio volume, in large print, to her brother-in-law, Sir Charles Cavendish, in gratitude.
Words that rhyme with folioimbroglio, olio, polio, portfolio
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: folio
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.