Definition of follow suit in English:
1(In bridge, whist, and other card games) play a card of the suit led.
- When a non-trump is led, players who have a card of the suit led must either follow suit or play a trump.
- Players must follow suit if possible - a player who cannot follow suit may discard any card.
- You must follow suit if you can; if you cannot follow suit, any card may be played.
1.1Conform to another’s actions: Spain cut its rates by half a per cent but no other country has followed suit
More example sentences
- And the rest follows suit, if you've got the aptitude and talent for it.
- And algae follows suit, converting sunlight to growth.
- Thankfully, the McGuinty government in Ontario kept its promise to raise cigarette taxes; let's hope the federal government follows suit.
Definition of follow suit in:
- US English dictionary