Definition of follow suit in English:
1(In bridge, whist, and other card games) play a card of the suit led.
- When a non-trump is led, players who have a card of the suit led must either follow suit or play a trump.
- Players must follow suit if possible - a player who cannot follow suit may discard any card.
- You must follow suit if you can; if you cannot follow suit, any card may be played.
1.1Conform to another’s actions: Spain cut its rates by half a per cent but no other country has followed suit
More example sentences
- And the rest follows suit, if you've got the aptitude and talent for it.
- And algae follows suit, converting sunlight to growth.
- Thankfully, the McGuinty government in Ontario kept its promise to raise cigarette taxes; let's hope the federal government follows suit.
Definition of follow suit in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan