Definition of follow-the-leader in English:
1A children’s game in which the participants must copy the actions and words of a person who has been chosen as leader.
- You would have thought I would have learned, but one day after my kiddie afternoon nap, he actually suggested playing a game - follow-my-leader.
- They are sociable and playful, and like to chase, play follow-my-leader and bodysurf.
- Joyuko complained, last again in the follow-the-leader game.
1.1The copying of the actions of others, often without consideration of their suitability for oneself: consumers play follow-the-leader when it comes to buying fashion [as adjective]: a follow-the-leader effect in the investments market
More example sentences
- The Japanese Prime Minister found himself largely relegated to playing follow-the-leader.
- The best collective ideas come out of diverse contributions, but some groups might have individuals so strong that others play follow-the-leader instead of thinking for themselves.
- But it's not always wise to play follow-the-leader.
Definition of follow-the-leader in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia