Definition of Fon in English:
noun (plural same or Fons)
1A member of a people inhabiting the southern part of Benin.
- The Fon (founders of the Dahomey kingdom) are the largest group.
- The most obvious African kin of Caribbean religions are the practices of the Yoruba and the Fon.
- Worsening relations between expansionist France and the warlike Fon of the West African kingdom of Dahomey came to a head in 1890.
2 [mass noun] The language of the Fon, belonging to the Kwa group, with about 1 million speakers.
- Fifty percent of the population speaks Fon.
- She is a three-time Grammy nominee who sings in English, French and two African languages, Yoruba and Fon.
- Kidjo sings primarily in the West African languages of Fon and Yoruba.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Fon or their language.
- The puppets wear the clothing and regalia of Fon chiefs, attesting to the interethnic community of Nago and Fon peoples.
- The six Yoruba markings (three on each cheek), and the ten Fon markings (two on each cheek, temples, and forehead) are readily discernible.
- He painted Avlekete, the Fon spirit of the sea, outside, next to the wall of juxtaposed African and African Diaspora Vodun symbols.
The name in Fon.
Definition of Fon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.