- A space between the bones of the skull in an infant or fetus, where ossification is not complete and the sutures not fully formed. The main one is between the frontal and parietal bones.More example sentences
- Term infants have well-formed skull bones separated by strips of connective tissue, sutures, and fontanelles.
- The sutures are, in effect, grooves between the bones of the skull and the fontanelles are small areas where the sutures meet.
- There was rupture at the site of the anterior fontanel with extrusion of intracranial contents.
mid 16th century (denoting a hollow of the skin between muscles): from French, from modern Latin fontanella, from an Old French diminutive of fontaine (see fountain). The current sense dates from the mid 18th century.
More definitions of fontanelleDefinition of fontanelle in:
- The US English dictionary