Any nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink or that plants absorb in order to maintain life and growth: we need food and water they had eaten their food and slept [count noun]: baby foods [as modifier]: food shortages figurative music is food for the soul
More example sentences
- Ach well, food tastes better in the open air.
- All the food tastes like rubber, like it was sitting up in the refrigerator for five years.
- My husband is Australian, where they eat lots of fresh summery food.
cooking, baking, cuisine;
North American informal chuck
food for thought
- Something that warrants serious consideration: his study certainly provides food for thoughtMore example sentences
mental stimulation, mental nourishment, something to think about, something to be seriously considered
- Although she had been quickly brought back, the incident would nonetheless provide some food for thought.
- And this recent Reason magazine editorial provides ample food for thought about Raed.
- And it provides plenty of food for thought for those writers who are wondering what it is that holds readers to the page.