Entry from US English dictionary
1A nutritional diagram in the shape of a pyramid, especially (in the US) the Food Guide Pyramid.
- I'm expecting big things from all this fruit consumption, and if I don't get it, someone in charge of the food pyramid is going to get cut.
- The food pyramid has outlived its usefulness and the Department of Agriculture is looking to give it an extreme makeover.
- Yes, Larry, my question for the doctor is regarding the food pyramid that is established for our school systems.
2 Ecology A graphic representation of predatory relationships in the food chain, in which various forms of life are shown on different levels, with each level preying on the one below it.
- Quammen emphasizes how the placement of predators at the top of the food pyramid makes them especially vulnerable to habitat destruction.
- This is certainly not the case in living communities, in which carnivores are at the top of the food pyramid and thus are much less abundant than herbivores.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.