Definition of foot-pound in English:
1A unit of energy equal to the amount required to raise 1 lb a distance of 1 foot.
- There are no ergs, joules, electron-volts, calories, or foot-pounds of New Age energy.
- While both may exert the same amount of total energy measured in foot-pounds, the rapid transfer of the punch is far more devastating.
- Nominal velocity in feet per second and muzzle energy in foot-pounds are drawn from the amino-makers' catalogs and from the pages of Bob Forker's excellent text, ‘Ammo and Ballistics.’
2A unit of torque equal to the force of 1 lb acting perpendicularly to an axis of rotation at a distance of 1 foot.
- The engine was at 850 foot-pounds of torque, too high to land.
- It offers a 30-hp, 12,000-rpm spindle with 123 foot-pounds of torque.
- A 2.2-litre in-line four is the base engine, offering 145 horsepower and 155 foot-pounds of torque.
Definition of foot-pound in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.