- 1 [mass noun] Any of various forms of team game involving kicking (and in some cases also handling) a ball, in particular (in the UK) soccer or (in the US) American football: [as modifier]: a football club a football matchMore example sentences
- Not to mention he got straight A's, was on the soccer, football and swim team.
- This marvellous facility is home to soccer, football and hurling clubs and a training ground for local athletes.
- Who in their right mind would risk life and limb to referee a local soccer or football match?
- 1.1The playing of football, especially in a stylish and entertaining way: his team played some impressive footballMore example sentences
- Both teams like to get the ball on the deck and play through the midfield and that makes it entertaining football to watch.
- Confidence was now running high for Molleran's and at last they began to show some of the stylish football that had taken them to the final.
- The club reached its peak in the 1970s, when it gained a reputation for playing entertaining football.
- 2A ball used in football, either round (as in soccer) or oval (as in rugby and American football) and typically made of leather or plastic and filled with compressed air.More example sentences
- But, when you are carrying one of the footballs or the soccer ball, you can be tackled.
- No more flying footballs through the goal post to decide the outcome.
- It was running the football, protecting the ball and forcing turnovers.
- 2.1A topical issue that is the subject of continued argument or controversy: the use of education as a political footballMore example sentences
- Some people are seeking to use the issue as a football, rather than trying to find genuine solutions to the obvious difficulties.
- What happens afterwards should focus on the football, not violence and other side issues.
- Is a paper that outsells every other title in Scotland really capable of turning the serious issue of drugs into an election football?
- More example sentences
- Either way, it started a tradition of Dutch footballers pulling out of World Cups.
- Seldom has a footballer looked more free of care than Ronaldo did when it was all over.
- The more Finnish footballers in the top flight of English football the better.
- More example sentences
- It was a piece of sublime individualism, the sort that separates footballing greats from great footballers.
- I played for Sheffield United last season on loan but didn't really appreciate how much of a footballing city Sheffield is.
- If the great experiment in footballing democracy were to take hold here, the fans just might rescue what is left of football's soul.
More definitions of footballDefinition of football in:
- The US English dictionary