(also footie or footer /-tə/)
Definition of footy in English:
1 Informal term for football (sense 1).
- Just back from playing footy for what must have been the first time in around a year - and boy do I feel it.
- Boys will be boys and given half a chance they would much rather be playing footy than tennis.
- They may have beaten us at footy but they can't even make a peach flavoured boiled sweet.
1.1Australian /NZ informal term for rugby or Australian Rules.
- Now if you're into sports like cricket, tennis, footy or athletics, then there's plenty of news and information available to you in newspapers and on television and radio.
- Now in going to the footie, it reminds me of all those wonderful family experiences in growing up, because I can't remember a time before football.
- I just wanted to go into the game with a clear mind and focus on my footy, not worrying about what the press had written about me.
Definition of footy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan