- 1 Law Unforeseeable circumstances that prevent someone from fulfilling a contract.More example sentences
- Industry sources said on Monday that both BHP and Rio had declared force majeure following severe flooding.
- Eni SpA has declared force majeure on shipments from its Ogbainbiri oil flow station in Nigeria after the facility was attacked on Sunday, an Eni spokeswoman said.
- A spokesman for the company said the declaration of force majeure would only apply to new ships about to join a queue of about 55 vessels waiting off the port to be loaded.
French, literally 'superior strength'.
More definitions of force majeureDefinition of force majeure in:
- The US English dictionary