Definition of fore in English:
Situated or placed in front: the fore and hind pairs of wings
More example sentences
- For all parents and offspring we therefore measured left and right wing length and width and hind, mid, and fore tibia length.
- He wasn't authorized to do so, but he had installed a pair of Laser Canons on his fore stern.
- Lightning and thunder spooked the horses more than we had anticipated, and though we tried to retain control of the animals, they bolted, the three of us gripping the fore ridge of our saddles as the horses raced on and on.
nounBack to top
The front part of something, especially a ship.
- Sonia climbed regally out of her stateroom in the fore of the ship.
- The world was opened up to trade and industry, with British iron, railways, ships, capital, and expertise in the fore.
- Doremi was now returning aft, and walked to below the fore of the sterncastle, tears streaming down her face.
exclamationBack to top
prepositionBack to top
to the fore
- In or to a conspicuous or leading position: the succession issue came to the foreMore example sentences
- When work amongst women is taken seriously then many more women will come to the fore and take leading positions.
- When the players compiled their list this time round, many of the same issues returned to the fore.
- I dare say over the coming few weeks you will see those issues come out to the fore.
Words that rhyme with foreabhor, adore, afore, anymore, ashore, awe, bandore, Bangalore, before, boar, Boer, bore, caw, chore, claw, cocksure, comprador, cor, core, corps, craw, Delors, deplore, door, draw, drawer, evermore, explore, flaw, floor, for, forbore, foresaw, forevermore, forswore, four, fourscore, furthermore, Gábor, galore, gnaw, gore, grantor, guarantor, guffaw, hard-core, Haugh, haw, hoar, ignore, implore, Indore, interwar, jaw, Johor, Lahore, law, lessor, lor, lore, macaw, man-o'-war, maw, mirador, mor, more, mortgagor, Mysore, nevermore, nor, oar, obligor, offshore, onshore, open-jaw, or, ore, outdoor, outwore, paw, poor, pore, pour, rapport, raw, roar, saw, scaur, score, senhor, señor, shaw, ship-to-shore, shop-floor, shore, signor, Singapore, snore, soar, softcore, sore, spore, store, straw, swore, Tagore, tau, taw, thaw, Thor, threescore, tor, tore, torr, trapdoor, tug-of-war, two-by-four, underfloor, underscore, war, warrantor, Waugh, whore, withdraw, wore, yaw, yore, your
Definition of fore in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan