Definition of foreman in English:
noun (plural foremen)
1A male worker who supervises and directs other workers.
- For management officials and industrial arbitrators, male aggression towards foremen and supervisors was far more serious than such behavior toward fellow workers.
- The phrase ‘too many chefs spoil the broth’ may apply to 20-man committees or a glut of foremen and not enough workers, but rarely does actually apply to chefs.
- They were never the foreman, never the worker, always the guy that ordered stuff or coordinated stuff.
supervisor, overseer, superintendent, manager, manageress, boss, team leader, line manager, controller;
South African induna;
in the Indian subcontinentmaistry
Australian informal pannikin boss
2(In a law court) a person who presides over a jury and speaks on its behalf.
- It was the foreman speaking on behalf of the jury, as I understand it, your Honour.
- A short retirement can reflect the compelling nature of the evidence, or equally the skill of the foreman in handling the jury's discussions.
- When they appeared in the jury box, the foreman handed the judge a note.
Words that rhyme with foremanBormann, doorman, doormen, foremen, Mormon, Norman, storeman, storemen
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.