Definition of forgo in English:
verb (forgoes /fɔːˈɡəʊz/ /fəˈɡəʊz/, forgoing, forwent /fɔːˈwɛnt/ /fəˈwɛnt/; past participle forgone /fɔːˈɡɒn/ /fəˈɡɒn/)[with object]
1Go without (something desirable): she wanted to forgo the tea and leave while they could
More example sentences
- Whenever possible, forego fashion and stick with ‘sensible’ shoes.
- I may be forced to go and purchase a second bag and forgo tea.
- If this is not your cup of tea, forgo the invitation and book a nearby hotel room.
do without, go without, give up, waive, renounce, surrender, disavow, relinquish, part with, drop, sacrifice, forswear, abjure, swear off, steer clear of, abandon, cede, yield, abstain from, refrain from, eschew, cut out;
decline, refuse, repudiate, spurn
1.1Refrain from: we forgo any comparison between the two men
More example sentences
- The second issue of waiver comes into effect when a party knowingly acts in a manner where he waives or foregoes reliance upon some known right or defect.
- The Democratic Party demonstrated its abandonment of any pretext of opposition by foregoing the traditional response of the minority party to a presidential address to Congress.
- An opposition party refusing to move on is forgoing any possible historical turning point.
Words that rhyme with forgoaglow, ago, alow, although, apropos, art nouveau, Bamako, Bardot, beau, Beaujolais Nouveau, below, bestow, blow, bo, Boileau, bons mots, Bordeaux, Bow, bravo, bro, cachepot, cheerio, Coe, crow, Defoe, de trop, doe, doh, dos-à-dos, do-si-do, dough, dzo, Flo, floe, flow, foe, foreknow, foreshow, Foucault, froe, glow, go, good-oh, go-slow, grow, gung-ho, Heathrow, heave-ho, heigh-ho, hello, ho, hoe, ho-ho, jo, Joe, kayo, know, lo, low, maillot, malapropos, Marceau, mho, Miró, mo, Mohs, Monroe, mot, mow, Munro, no, Noh, no-show, oh, oho, outgo, outgrow, owe, Perrault, pho, po, Poe, pro, quid pro quo, reshow, righto, roe, Rouault, row, Rowe, sew, shew, show, sloe, slow, snow, so, soh, sow, status quo, stow, Stowe, strow, tally-ho, though, throw, tic-tac-toe, to-and-fro, toe, touch-and-go, tow, trow, undergo, undersow, voe, whacko, whoa, wo, woe, Xuzhou, yo, yo-ho-ho, Zhengzhou, Zhou
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.