- 1 [mass noun] Excessive adherence to prescribed forms: academic dryness and formalismMore example sentences
- This inclination has developed the furthest in philosophy, political science, and economics, where most practitioners have adopted an otherworldly and self-referential formalism.
- I am not going to argue for the virtues of formalism.
- Fortunately, I grew out of the spell of legal formalism and its infantile over-simplifications.
- 1.1The basing of ethics on the form of the moral law without regard to intention or consequences.More example sentences
- Analytic ethics has been very fairly impoverished given the postivist legacy of emotivism, the formalism of Kantian ethics and the technicalism of utilitarianism.
- They explicitly disavow the classical philosophies of formalism, logicism, Platonism, intuitionism, and social constructivism.
- Gadamer uses Kant's aesthetic formalism to illustrate this point.
- 1.2Concern or excessive concern with form and technique rather than content in artistic creation.More example sentences
- Judd's thesis augured the inevitable evolution of Modern art into pure formalism and object-ness.
- In this way, neoclassicism's insistent formalism did little to close the gap between style and meaning.
- A slew of sculptors have emerged in Los Angeles in the last few years, but most seem stuck in either constrictive formalism or murky surrealism.
- 1.4The treatment of mathematics as a manipulation of meaningless symbols.More example sentences
- The other basic version of formalism likens the practice of mathematics to a game played with linguistic characters.
- He has also made this formalism more useful for practical calculations.
- Brouwer emphasizes, as he had done in his dissertation, that formalism presupposes contentual mathematics at the metalevel.
- 2A description of something in formal mathematical or logical terms: there is a formalism which expresses the idea of superpositionMore example sentences
- Yet the development of the general theory of relativity introduced Einstein to the power of abstract mathematical formalisms, notably that of tensor calculus.
- The Maximum Likelihood section provides the details of the mathematical formalisms and computations.
- Any attempt to disprove the theory of evolution using thermodynamics will require proper formalisms.
- More example sentences
- Here, as in his earlier pictures, he is a cool, meticulous formalist who favors full-to-long shots in which the camera remains stationary.
- Touching but unsentimental, this poem provides yet more evidence that the best non-formal poetry is almost invariably produced by consummate formalists.
- Formalists claim that legal realism is not true to the rule of law; realists respond that despite what formalists say, formalism isn't how the law really works.
- More example sentences
- ‘There are people who only emphasize the ritual and formalistic aspects of religious teachings, overlooking the true substance that lies behind them,’ he said.
- In these days of focus on class, race, and gender, the subject would seem to many literary scholars far too abstract, artificial, philosophical, and formalistic to be worth pursuing.
- Rather, they were obviously based on a commitment to a formalistic interpretation of ‘equal protection of the laws’ under the Fourteenth Amendment.
More definitions of formalismDefinition of formalism in:
- The US English dictionary