- 1Constituting or containing a set form of words: formulaic expressions such as ‘Once upon a time’More example sentences
- Upon meeting, formulaic greetings must be exchanged before a discussion can ensue.
- Formulaic expressions are formulaic, precisely because of their fixed form.
- Chinese has an additive oral style, comprised of expressions of formulaic styling.
- 1.1Produced in accordance with a mechanically followed rule or style: formulaic, disposable popMore example sentences
- Set in the inner city of 1960's Cleveland, the script follows a formulaic plot.
- Everything else in the novel slavishly follows a simple formulaic adventure plot.
- The stern and formulaic rules of American news reporting make scepticism difficult to express.
- More example sentences
- And finally, formulaically, she invokes that neighborly, over-the-fence standard ‘common sense’ to pit us against those wacky liberal intellectuals.
- I am baffled by the difference between the formulaically charismatic man I met in public, outside of the house and the uninterested, pathetic and almost sinister figure before me.
- The grammar of the Tamil film song is almost formulaically strict.