Definition of fornix in English:
noun (plural fornices /ˈfɔːnɪsiːz/)Anatomy
1A vaulted or arched structure in the body, in particular:
- The fornices should be palpated around the cervix for nodules suggestive of endometriosis, and may also be the etiology for fixed adnexa or may result from pelvic inflammatory disease.
- The lateral fornices may be lavaged without manipulation by directing the stream into them.
- Excessively large implants may also compromise the fornices and possibly limit motility.
1.1 (also fornix cerebri /ˈsɛrɪbrʌɪ/) A triangular area of white matter in the mammalian brain between the hippocampus and the hypothalamus.
- The septum pellucidum stretches across the interval between the genu of the corpus collosum and the columns of the fornix, separating the frontal horns of the two lateral ventricles.
- Between the two crura of the fornix is a white, triangular lamina, known as the fornical commissure.
- The fornix, mamillary bodies, and part of the anterior commissure can also be seen.
late 17th century: from Latin, literally 'arch, vaulted chamber'.
Definition of fornix in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan