1A fortified building or strategic position: the city was guarded by a ring of forts
More example sentences
- This period saw the establishment of a number of strongly defended forts on strategically placed high points all over the region.
- In the 1960s, many of the old coastal forts were turned over to the National Park Service.
- Archaeologists have identified one of Britain's largest prehistoric hill forts in the North Yorkshire Moors.
- More example sentences
- Forts were supplemented by fortlets and towers and eventually by linear barriers.
- The Roman military pendant is extremely important, as it has come from a Roman soldier based at the Roman fortlet and is identical to ones found at North Shields Roman fort.
- A Roman fortlet was located by excavation in 1977 on the small plateau at the west end of Seabegs Wood.