1 (one's forte) A thing at which someone excels: small talk was not his forte
More example sentences
- If adventure sports is one's forte, the city offers everything from dune bashing, desert camping and deep water diving to dolphin watching.
- As noted previously, mathematics is not the Professor's forte - nor even simple sums, apparently.
- As visitors to this blog may have gathered, all that HTML-squiggle-dot stuff isn't the Professor's forte.
2 Fencing The part of a sword blade from the hilt to the middle. Compare with foible.
- The forte is used to parry, the medio to engage and the debole to hit.
- The victorious fencer has his hand in seconda (palm down), his forte against the forte of his opponent, his left leg forward and his point in his opponent's belly.
Words that rhyme with fortepanforte, prêt-à-porter
(Especially as a direction) loud or loudly.
- The Petrarchian Sonnet is not quite as successful, Cliburn's dynamics favoring mezzo-forte and forte a little too much throughout.
- This is a good piece to work on the many levels of forte playing, especially in an ensemble setting.
- Schepkin is the ideal accompanist, expertly handling the quirky piano solo halfway through the piece and slamming his forte chords with the right degree of surprise.
nounBack to top
A passage performed or marked to be performed loudly.
- But to watch a whiplash rapper ride the crest of an orchestral forte is a genuine awakening.
- And as performance dates drew close rehearsals became almost terrifying in their propulsive, impelling commitment - pianissimos were scaled to a whisper and fortes forceful and triumphant.
- Pianissimos were so soft they whispered, the fortes were imbued with a warmth and strength that echoed through the chapel and up to its high, vaulted ceilings.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan