noun (plural fortepianos)Music
- A piano, especially of the kind made in the 18th and early 19th centuries.More example sentences
- The piano teacher gives all lessons on an early fortepiano that has a knee lever for operating the damper mechanism.
- Of uncertain origins, he was one of the community of émigré musicians who made an itinerant orchestral career in Britain, playing a variety of wind and string instruments, the fortepiano, and the cittern.
- He demonstrates on a Stein fortepiano alongside the Steinway, discussing his decisions about articulation and dynamics in key passages.
More definitions of fortepianoDefinition of fortepiano in:
- The US English dictionary