Definition of fortuity in English:
noun (plural fortuities)
1A chance occurrence.
- Through one of those fortuities that illumine the paths of even the dull-witted, I stumbled upon Henry George.
- The meeting of Baryshnikov and Judson was, it seems, a fortuity waiting to happen.
- Then identically situated litigants would receive different treatment based upon the fortuity of whether their case appeared before a state or federal judge.
1.1 [mass noun] The state of being controlled by chance.
- Enjoy your last full week in an oasis of fortuity.
- In a later essay in 1980, I noted the major role of fortuity in civil rights gains and why those gains tended to be fleeting even when enunciated in terms of permanence.
- Heartz's study of fortuity is particularly intriguing.
Definition of fortuity in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan