- A long, narrow trench or excavation, especially in a fortification.More example sentences
- ‘Almost looks like the fosses that surrounded the medieval castles,’ Emily reflected.
- Making the great fosse was one of many human manipulations of this land.
- A temporary injunction has prevented removal of an ancient walled ditch, or fosse, part of the boundary of medieval Carrickmines Castle in south Co Dublin, which lies in the path of the last section of the M50 motorway.
late Old English, via Old French from Latin fossa (see fossa1).
More definitions of fosseDefinition of fosse in:
- The US English dictionary