- 1Inject liquid into (a subterranean rock formation, borehole, etc.) at high pressure so as to force open existing fissures and extract oil or gas: millions of gallons of water are needed to successfully frack a single well a gas company wants to frack his land and the land around itMore example sentences
- From exploratory drilling through completion, it takes about a thousand truck trips to frack a shale oil well.
- The advent of horizontal drilling and horizontal hydraulic fracturing technology has allowed hundreds of thousands of acres of land to be leased and eventually fracked.
- Hundreds of new wells are being drilled and fracked every year.
- 1.1Extract (oil or gas) by injecting liquid into a subterranean rock formation, borehole, etc. at high pressure: the industry has begun to frack natural gas from shale deposits (as adjective fracked) the pipeline currently brings fracked gas to New York from TexasMore example sentences
- Oil companies are gearing up to frack oil deposits in the Monterey Shale, a geological formation that lies beneath some of the state's most productive farmland.
- Investing in policies that encourage such changes would be much smarter than subsidizing the fertilizer industry's move toward relying on fracked gas.
- I was not aware of hazards on the consuming end of using fracked gas.
- More example sentences
- Depending on state and local water laws, frackers may draw their water for free from underground aquifers or rivers, or may buy and lease supplies belonging to water districts, cities and farmers.
- The co-op sells water to frackers at roughly 84 cents a barrel, compared to 21 cents a barrel for homes.
- Methane can occur naturally in the area (that's what draws frackers there).
1950s: representing an abbreviated form of fracture.
exclamationUS • informal
- Used to express annoyance, frustration, impatience, or surprise: what the frack is going on!More example sentences
- Thanks everyone. Dropping the speed limit in the CBD to 30 kmh What the frack!
- What the frack is going on with Sterne's blogroll?
- How the fleeping frack did we get here?
1970s: euphemistic alteration of fuck, popularized by the US television show Battlestar Galactica.