- A tall, horizontally subdivided container for fractional distillation in which vapour passes upwards and condensing liquid flows downwards. The vapour becomes progressively enriched in more volatile components as it ascends, and the less volatile components become concentrated in the descending liquid, which can be drawn off.More example sentences
- Vapors from the oil move into a fractionating column, a tall tower containing a series of chambers.
- The crude oil is heated in a furnace and pumped into the fractionating column, near its base.
- The packed fractionating column can be used for the production of terpeneless essential oils and isolation of natural aroma chemicals under high vacuum.
More definitions of fractionating columnDefinition of fractionating column in:
- The US English dictionary