- An almond-flavoured cream or paste.More example sentences
- It's worth waiting the 15 minutes required for his chocolate Pithiviers, a crisp igloo shape of hot, thin puff pastry, filled with warm, soft bitter chocolate and almond frangipane, served with an elegant coffee bean sauce.
- A perfectly worthy, if dull, strudel tart cried out for a layer of seasonal apples or pears to complement its buttery pastry, almond frangipane and dry, crumbly topping.
- The pear and frangipane tart needed more pear, but its almond frangipane was moistly satisfying and its pastry had the almost sandy crumbliness which is the hallmark of good shortcrust.
late 17th century: from French, named after the Marquis Muzio Frangipani (see frangipani). The term originally denoted the frangipani shrub or tree, the perfume of which is said to have been used to flavour the almond cream.
More definitions of frangipaneDefinition of frangipane in:
- The US English dictionary