(also frazil ice)
noun[mass noun] North American
- Soft or amorphous ice formed by the accumulation of ice crystals in water that is too turbulent to freeze solid.More example sentences
- The initial form of sea ice is a slurry of ice crystals called frazil ice, which under various conditions grow together to form many different and complex ice forms.
- It is an object of the invention to provide an underwater frazil ice detector which is self cleaning.
- An equation representing the threshold conditions for the formation of frazil ice jams was determined.
late 19th century: from Canadian French frasil 'snow floating in the water', from French fraisil 'cinders'.
More definitions of frazilDefinition of frazil in:
- The US English dictionary