1A sideshow at a fair, featuring abnormally developed people or animals.
- Neither you nor I wish to show ourselves off there like two animals on a freak show in a circus.
- With his orphaned son in hand, Trewley sets off into the murky depths of London and the freak show where he discovers the Elephant Woman.
- The wider argument is that as the freak show went out of business, its imagery spread through literature, film and the visual arts.
1.1An unusual or grotesque event viewed for pleasure, especially when in bad taste.
- But while the sport has been transformed in the last five years, you still find people treating our event as a freak show or a catwalk.
- The punch-up was first of all a media event, a freak show.
- If we don't keep drugs out of these events, they become freak shows, the athletes like gladiators - with us playing the role of decadent Romans, urging them on.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: freak show
Definition of freak show in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.