- Rock climbing without the assistance of devices such as pegs placed in the rock, but occasionally using ropes and belays. Compare with aid climbing.More example sentences
- There, they received one week of mountain training, which included instruction in ropes and knots; rope climbing; free climbing; rappelling; and the use of one-, two- and three-rope bridges.
- It was partly cloudy, so our views of the Everest Massif and the other 8,000 meter peaks in the area were a bit disappointing, but the final 50 feet of free climbing rock at over 19,000 feet was one hell of an adrenaline rush.
- The majority of the gully can be freed in normal summer conditions, but in winter wearing plastic boots, bulky clothes and gloves, free climbing was out of discussion, and surely had the risk of a fall, which we seriously wanted to prevent.
More definitions of free climbingDefinition of free climbing in:
- The US English dictionary