- 1A port open to all traders.More example sentences
- One of the first Latin American countries to open a free port, Paraguay became a centre of retail commerce of foreign goods, representing a substantial slice of its country's economy.
- Another 80 marines deployed to the free port of Monrovia to conduct engineering work needed to open the port to humanitarian relief.
- A new urban creation, the free port, challenged the old commercial and shipping powers.
- 1.1A port area where goods in transit are exempt from customs duty.More example sentences
- The economy shifted to trade, and in 1724 Charlotte Amalie became a free port where goods were exempt from customs duties and regulation.
- A decree substantially enlarging the free port area, which is located along a 15 km stretch on both sides of the Daugava River, came into force this year.
- Nonetheless, when the city obtained the privileged tariff status of a free port in 1784, goods arriving from abroad at Bayonne rose by 60 per cent.
More definitions of free portDefinition of free port in:
- The US English dictionary