Definition of freehold in English:
1Permanent and absolute tenure of land or property with freedom to dispose of it at will. Often contrasted with leasehold.
- Title is called feudal or ‘feuhold’ tenure which is the equivalent of freehold and is absolute title.
- I understand it is the same in relation to freehold and leasehold, that you can be convicted of trespass.
- The Crown does not normally make grants to itself in freehold or by lease.
1.1 [count noun] A piece of land or property held by freehold: an opportunity to purchase the adjoining freehold
More example sentences
- This has resulted in a starkly contrasting market between leaseholds and freeholds, especially in the sale of going concern businesses.
- The other reason is that York is an increasingly popular shopping centre and freeholds don't come up that often.
- There are fears rents could spiral forcing them out of business and the clubs demolished for housing if the authority presses ahead with an auction of freeholds next month.
adjectiveBack to top
Held by or having the status of freehold: freehold tenure
More example sentences
- The individual claimants are freehold owners and occupiers of their homes in Church Village.
- The valuation assumes a sound freehold title with full vacant possession.
- On 14th February 1996, the freehold interest in the building was transferred to the claimant.
- Example sentences
- Ordinarily, such a person can only sue if he has the right to exclusive possession of the land, such as a freeholder or tenant in possession, or even a licensee with exclusive possession.
- The person most likely to be affected by this change is an intermediate landlord, that is a person who holds a lease from the freeholder, out of which he has granted a sub-lease to the person who is now in actual occupation.
- He submits that the evidence indicated that their continued presence was plainly tolerated and accepted by a succession of freeholders and that that amounted to an implied licence to occupy rather than trespass.
Words that rhyme with freeholdleasehold • copyhold
Definition of freehold in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.