- 1 [mass noun] A fine-grained stone which can be cut easily in any direction, in particular a type of sandstone or limestone: the town hall built in the local freestoneMore example sentences
- Whilst the greater part was just ordinary stone, many decorative elements were carved out of freestone such as sandstones and limestone.
- The ten-bay barn is of limestone with freestone dressings and diagonal buttresses.
- He has learnt all the skills of carving freestone.
- 2A stone fruit in which the stone is easily separated from the flesh when the fruit is ripe: [as modifier]: freestone peaches Contrasted with clingstone.More example sentences
- Its freestone fruit - about average in size - has an attractive pinkish-orange skin.
- Varieties There are two categories of peach, clingstone and freestone, distinguished by the ease with which the flesh comes away from the stone.
- Use chunks of ripe pineapple, halves of slightly under-ripe apricots or freestone peaches.
More definitions of freestoneDefinition of freestone in:
- The US English dictionary