Definition of frequent in English:
- These recitations must be roughly repeated at frequent intervals if they are not to be lost.
- Although I removed the advert from the screen, the persistent thing continues to pop up at frequent intervals, much to my increasing irritation.
- Soulful music regaled the families dining at Chin Chin, the Chinese restaurant, while a special buffet at the Coffee Pot kept guests coming back for more at frequent intervals.
- He owned a holiday home in Lurga, Charlestown and was a regular and frequent visitor to the Charlestown area in recent years.
- This particularly affects frequent travelers, those people that are very good customers of the airlines.
- In that role, she was in charge of training x-ray personnel and became a frequent visitor to hospitals and ambulance stations.
- He said they were hampered by dreadful roads, frequent road blocks and gunpoint identity checks by the soldiers in the area because of the ongoing conflict.
- These are just a few of the many bird species frequenting the unique habitat of the mangrove lagoons.
- The bar across the road frequented by Stuart and his chums does a lovely spicy sausage sandwich to go.
- The shows will be conducted at places frequented by families in the evenings.
Late Middle English (in the sense 'profuse, ample'): from French, or from Latin frequens, frequent- 'crowded, frequent', of unknown ultimate origin.
‘Profuse, ample’ was the meaning of frequent in early examples. It comes from Latin frequens, ‘crowded, frequent’.
Words that rhyme with frequentabsent, accent, anent, ascent, assent, augment, bent, cement, cent, circumvent, consent, content, dent, event, extent, ferment, foment, forewent, forwent, gent, Ghent, Gwent, lament, leant, lent, meant, misrepresent, misspent, outwent, pent, percent, pigment, rent, scent, segment, sent, spent, stent, Stoke-on-Trent, Tashkent, tent, torment, Trent, underspent, underwent, vent, went sequent
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.