Definition of frightener in English:
1A person or thing that frightens someone.
- At 42 inches long, the freshwater frightener was deemed ‘a very big catch any fisherman would be proud of’ by Bob Carlson, the owner of Carlson's Fishing Tackle, Kendal.
- The fire at Fat Boy's was only meant to be a frightener.
- So Eriksson, in a move of stunning and unexpected simplicity, has made the second frightener his captain.
put the frighteners on
- British informal Threaten or intimidate (someone): trying to put the frighteners on those who wish to roam over open country is childishMore example sentences
- Hard as it is to believe, Grover the ex-boxer and former East End man about town, felt as though someone was putting the frighteners on him.
- We'll see if our little ‘chat’ puts the frighteners on them.
- He wanted Mr Blythe ‘to put the frighteners on him’.
Definition of frightener in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan