Definition of frightener in English:
1A person or thing that frightens someone.
- At 42 inches long, the freshwater frightener was deemed ‘a very big catch any fisherman would be proud of’ by Bob Carlson, the owner of Carlson's Fishing Tackle, Kendal.
- The fire at Fat Boy's was only meant to be a frightener.
- So Eriksson, in a move of stunning and unexpected simplicity, has made the second frightener his captain.
put the frighteners on
- British informal Threaten or intimidate (someone): trying to put the frighteners on those who wish to roam over open country is childishMore example sentences
- Hard as it is to believe, Grover the ex-boxer and former East End man about town, felt as though someone was putting the frighteners on him.
- We'll see if our little ‘chat’ puts the frighteners on them.
- He wanted Mr Blythe ‘to put the frighteners on him’.
Words that rhyme with frightenerenlightener, whitener
Definition of frightener in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.