Making someone afraid or anxious; terrifying: a frightening experience
More example sentences
- It's going to be a very new experience for us, and it could be a frightening one, too.
- It's a frightening situation and it's gotten to the point where I dread turning the news on.
- But it is a strange and somewhat frightening thing when you are in the middle of it.
- [as submodifier]: the standard air fare proved to be frighteningly expensiveMore example sentences
- The security problems are not only frightening; they are frighteningly expensive.
- However, our hosts, Bingham aside, were frighteningly incompetent.
- In 1967, for example, the restrictions were relaxed too soon and the epidemic flared up frighteningly again.