- A coral reef that lies close to the shore.More example sentences
- Reefs are generally divided into three categories; the barrier reef, the atoll, and the fringing reef.
- Sipadan has fringing reefs and a coral wall which drops thousands of feet, while peninsular Malaysia's islands have reefs and rock outcrops plus some deep wrecks for technical divers.
- Coral atolls consist of several small islets within a fringing reef, arranged around a central lagoon.
More definitions of fringing reefDefinition of fringing reef in:
- The US English dictionary