- 1 (fritter something away) Waste time, money, or energy on trifling matters: I wish we hadn’t frittered the money away so easilyMore example sentences
squander, waste, misuse, misspend, spend unwisely, throw away, dissipate, make poor use of; overspend, spend like water, throw around like confetti, be prodigal with, be wastefully extravagant with, run through, get through, lose, let money slip through one's fingers• informal blow, splurge, pour/chuck something down the drain, spend money as if it grew on trees, spend money as if there were no tomorrow, spend money as if it were going out of styleBritish • informal , • dated blue• vulgar slang piss away
- The worry is that ministers will give the money to councils and it will be frittered away on councillors' pet projects.
- Three shabbily dressed and under - nourished children lived in a Hampshire house of astonishing squalor as their parents frittered their money away on drink, a court heard.
- Taxpayers should make sure that their money isn't frittered away on projects designed to pay back political supporters.
early 18th century: based on obsolete fitter 'break into fragments, shred'; perhaps related to German Fetzen 'rag, scrap'.
- A piece of fruit, vegetable, or meat that is coated in batter and deep-fried: banana frittersMore example sentences
- A light batter containing whisked egg whites is used to encase the prepared fruit, and the fritters are coated with caramel and sprinkled with sesame seeds after cooking.
- And instead of the food she loves she'll be served with spam fritters, suet pudding and stewed prunes.
- The tiny purple berries are used to make sparkling jams and the blossoms are deep-fried into fritters.