noun (plural frontes)Zoology
- The forehead or equivalent part of an animal, especially the middle part of an insect’s face between the eyes and above the clypeus.More example sentences
- In P, another clone has been magnified, showing ectopic ocelli and bristles in the frons.
- Body size was assessed using two measures: body length from the frons to the end of the abdomen (in millimeters), and the combined lengths of the hind tibia and tarsus leg segments (in millimeters).
- Saccà recognized three forms - calleva, vicina, and nebulo - as constituents of a geographic cline of M. d. sensu stricto, based on the ratio of frons to head width of males and on abdominal coloration.
mid 19th century: from Latin, 'front, forehead'.
More definitions of fronsDefinition of frons in:
- The US English dictionary