Definition of frontispiece in English:
1An illustration facing the title page of a book.
- Passerotti's Self-Portrait with Skeleton, Ecorche and Nudes, early 1580s (Warsaw University Library), is presumed to have been drawn as the frontispiece for his book.
- The first illustration was a colour frontispiece entitled ‘Chemical Industry, Upheld by Pure Science, Sustains the Production of Man's Necessities.’
- The frontispiece to Hokusai's Illustrated Manual on Coloring of 1848 shows a fanatical painter holding five brushes in feet, hands, and mouth, all at work painting.
2 Architecture The principal face of a building.
- The image shows a campus with lush green lawns, classical architecture and a brick frontispiece displaying a sign that reads ‘State College’.
- It came with a frontispiece showing damage caused by fascist artillery to the Goya Foundation.
- It was a low, flat building with arched windows and a central balcony and square frontispiece, with the post office occupying one wing.
Words that rhyme with frontispiecechimney piece
Definition of frontispiece in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia