Definition of frontispiece in English:
1An illustration facing the title page of a book.
- Passerotti's Self-Portrait with Skeleton, Ecorche and Nudes, early 1580s (Warsaw University Library), is presumed to have been drawn as the frontispiece for his book.
- The first illustration was a colour frontispiece entitled ‘Chemical Industry, Upheld by Pure Science, Sustains the Production of Man's Necessities.’
- The frontispiece to Hokusai's Illustrated Manual on Coloring of 1848 shows a fanatical painter holding five brushes in feet, hands, and mouth, all at work painting.
2 Architecture The principal face of a building.
- The image shows a campus with lush green lawns, classical architecture and a brick frontispiece displaying a sign that reads ‘State College’.
- It came with a frontispiece showing damage caused by fascist artillery to the Goya Foundation.
- It was a low, flat building with arched windows and a central balcony and square frontispiece, with the post office occupying one wing.
Words that rhyme with frontispiecechimney piece
Definition of frontispiece in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.