noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A sugar of the hexose class found especially in honey and fruit.More example sentences
- Invertase, for example, aids photosynthesis in vine leaves, by converting sucrose to the invert sugars fructose and glucose.
- When sucrose is hydrolyzed the mixture of glucose and fructose is called invert sugar.
- Glucose, sucrose and fructose are the major soluble sugars found in strawberry fruit.
mid 19th century: from Latin fructus 'fruit' + -ose2.
More definitions of fructoseDefinition of fructose in:
- The US English dictionary