Definition of frugivore in English:
An animal that feeds on fruit.
- Second, I review the scanty literature on whether vertebrate frugivores prefer fruits with presumably higher levels of ethanol over conspecific fruits with presumably lower levels of ethanol.
- However, because of the great variety of microorganisms present in fruit, the associated effects on the interactions between vertebrate frugivores and fruiting plants may also be highly variable.
- During the late Cretaceous and early Paleocene periods plant-eating mammals were frugivores, presumably because fruit can be more easily processed than foliage.
- Example sentences
- Little is known, however, about either the natural occurrence of ethanol within fruits or the behavioral responses of frugivorous animals to such cues.
- The natural occurrence of ethanol within ripe and fermenting fruit suggests that low-level ethanol exposure via dietary ingestion is characteristic of all frugivorous metazoans.
- Accordingly, the hypothesized deterrence of ethanol to frugivorous vertebrates, or specifically primates, is unsubstantiated.
Definition of frugivore in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan