- A bat with a long snout and large eyes, feeding chiefly on fruit or nectar and found mainly in the Old World tropics.
More example sentences
- Family Pteropodidae: many genera and numerous species. See also flying fox
- Certain bats, like the short-tailed fruit bat, drop guano containing 40,000 to 50,000 seeds in a night.
- They have no way of knowing what is out there, and a fruit bat that ventures out over the empty sea runs a big risk, given what seem to be the species' limited navigational abilities over long distances.
- Even some nonavian natives - the Mariana fruit bat, for instance - are rapidly disappearing under the attack of the resourceful reptile.
More definitions of fruit batDefinition of fruit bat in:
- The US English dictionary